Skip to main content

Necktie necklace



I've seen a couple of versions of the necktie necklace around, but the inspiration for this one came from Sewstylish Spring 2011 issue. I made mine loosely based on the instructions in the article, but changed a couple of things. I made a different flower and did not add a string of pearls to the ruffle like the one in the article.


I started with a silk tie from the Salvation Army - 50 cents! (They were having a sale the day I went.) I pleated the tie by folding it back and forth on itself and then hand stitched at the top of the folds. I then took a piece of pink silk approximately 2 1/2 inches wide by 36 inches and formed a ruffle by basting a large zig zag stitch down the strip. This is the method taught in the article. I've never made a ruffle this way, but I like the results. The flower was supposed to be made the same way, but I folded a strip of cream silk and basted on the cut edge and pulled it into a ruffle and then a flower instead. The ruffle is hand stitched to the tie and then the flower on one end. You will cut off part of the small end of the tie where the ruffle ends.  On the other end I used a vintage clip earring. Sew a piece of chain onto each end and attach a clasp of your choice. This can be made fairly quickly, less than two hours.



Thanks for coming by.  Make sure you check out this post and leave your feedback as well.

I'll be linked at the following places:

Think Pink Sundays*Keep It Simple Sunday*Under the Table and Dreaming* Sundae Scoop*Creative Bloggers Party and Hop* Craftomaniac Monday*Making the World Cuter*Just Something I Whipped Up at TGC* Masterpiece Monday* Motivate Me Monday*Inspire Me Monday*Market Yourself Mondays at Sumo’s Sweet Stuff* Pink Hippo Party*More The Merrier Monday*Running With Glitter*Twenty Minute Tuesdays*Take a Look Tuesday* Handmade Tuesdays* Tuesday Time Out* Gettin Krafy with It* Tip Junkie*Get Your Craft On*Whatever Goes Wednesday*Hooking Up with HOH* Wow Us Wednesday*Blue Cricket Design*All Things Inspired*Whassup Wednesday* Tea Rose Home*Share the Wealth* Fireflies and Jellybeans* Someswhat Simple Strut Your Stuff*It’s Sew Stinkin Cute Craft Thursday*Thrifty Thursday*Transformation Thursday* Thrilling Thursday*A Crafty Soiree*Tidy Mom*Simply Sweet Home*Simply Designing*Chic on a Shoestring Flaunt It Friday*Fingerprints on the Fridge*BFF Open House at The Answer is Chocolate* Creation Corner* Pity Party*Tatertots and Jello*Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special*Be Different Act Normal

make it wear it

Comments

  1. what a fun idea! Now to get hubby to sacrifice a tie for me! thanks for the idea! http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one cool necklace! I love it! Hi! I found your site through the Tuesday Time-Out Hop. Please come follow me back at:

    http://healthykidshappykids.blogspot.com

    Thanks and have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sooooo pretty! I adore it! Thanks for linking!I'll be featuring it on my Fathers Day post this Friday on BCD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the sweet comments! If the men folks won't sacrifice a tie, there's always the thrift store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! Come and join our link party: http://fabricbowsandmore.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! Looks great on you too! What a neat fun idea! Thanks for sharing at It's Stinkin' Cute Craft Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your shirt is amazing and so cute. I love it I found you through a linky party! Come and say hi, enter my giveaway and vote for my picture. Thank you.

    A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun! I never would have thought to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very clever idea...and I have a bunch of ties that hubby doesn't wear anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a stylish and quirky idea!
    As a volunteer in a charity shop, I'm always seeing nice ties--now I have a good reason to buy one other than 'but it's niiiice!'


    http://unfortunatelyoh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! I love this idea! Thanks for sharing this idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ummm I am totally making myself one! And I pinned this! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun necklace! I will have to make one from my husbands old ties!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried to make one of these but mine did not turn out as well! I am jealous!! Maybe when I get my confidence back(lol) I will try again. Thanks for sharing
    Jenni
    kissedbyafrog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Who said ties were boring!! You're very creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have seen a few of these too, but this is one of my favorite versions! Super cute and girly! Perfect!! We would love to have you link it up to our Strut Your Stuff link up party on Sunday @
    http://jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com/
    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super Cute blog!! :) I am your newest follower! I will definitely be keeping an eye on your blog to learn new things!! If you would like to take a look at my blog that would be wonderful and follow me back! For-The-Luv-Of.blogspot.com Look out for some giveaways also like mineral make-up. I am new to this but excited to share ideas on yummy food!
    Thanks,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! Never would have thought of this and you would also never know this started out as a tie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How unique! I love the colors! Thanks for linking up with me last week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is so creative!!! I LOVE IT:) and the colors rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I saw one of these on etsy, but I really like yours, very pretty. Thanks for sharing on Recycled Fashion Finds link up

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind words! I love hearing from you.