Skip to main content

Craft room bar stool makeover

This post contains Amazon affiliate links. It does not cost you to click through but if you make  a purchase from my link, I may earn a small commission.
I hinted a few weeks ago that my hubby built a new craft table for me and I'm redoing my craft room/office. I'm not yet ready to reveal the table because we assembled it in place in the room and I've got to finish the rest of the room before taking photos.
I can share my new stool that I redid to go with the table. The table is counter height so I needed a bar stool for the times I want to sit and work.
I picked up one in good shape at a local thrift shop. Here's the before:

It was still in good shape as is, but I wanted something fun and bright to go with my table.  So I cleaned it, painted it with some left over paint from the table project, and then put a new seat on it.

The paint was a flat interior. The Home Depot associate recommended that I go with flat paint since I was putting a polycrylic coat on top of the table. The hubby hated that stuff when he did the table, so I started with polyurethane as a top coat for the stool. It turned yellow. So, I had to sand it off and repaint. I won't go any further into the nightmares we've had with topcoats on the projects for this room redo, but I'll say it's been a learning curve. To give my stool some protection and shine, I went with a top coat of Johnson's paste wax.
I went to Joann's to look at outdoor or upholstery fabric. Ouch- that stuff is expensive. I searched throught the remnant bin (50% off) and found a 1/2-yard piece that is a perfect fit for the colors I'm using in my room.
I also got a sheet of 2 inch foam. I removed the leather cover from the seat by pulling out the staples on the back. I used the old foam as a template for the new foam and for the fabric. I cut the fabric circle about six inches larger.
I adhered the new foam with spray adhesive. Then I stapled a layer of quilt batting over that, and then stapled on my fabric. I made little pleats and tucks at each leg to fit the circle. The seat part was really easy. I didn't do any sewing. I treated the edges with fray check since I left them raw on the underside.

Here's a look at that fun fabric.  I'm in love with my new stool.

Thanks for stopping by.

I'll be sharing here:


  1. A little paint and color and amazing how it can turn out....nice job.

  2. How cute! I'd love for you to link it up on my blog for my DIY Weekend link party.

  3. Very bright and cheery! I do love the fabric! I re-did an old stool this week to0 - it was a simple fix to make it look nicer - but my stool is not so sturdy (LOL!). Have a great week, Julia

  4. Great update! Don't forget to link up to The DIY'ers.

  5. This is such a cute idea! I love the fabric you used! I"m co-hosting Tell Me Tuesday this week and you should come link up with us at!!

  6. Such a cute makeover!! I love the fabric you chose:) I would be thrilled if you have the chance to share this at our new mega-party Work it Wednesday - it goes live tomorrow morning at 7am PST. Each link will be shown on 4 blogs! The Happy Housie, The Blissful Bee, The Turquoise Home, and My Place for Taste:) Work it Wednesday. Hope to see ya there!

    - Krista @ the happy housie

  7. Very cute! I like that fabric too! Thanks for linking it up at Monday Funday!

  8. What fun fabric! I always check the remnants before I leave a craft store! ;) Yay for a craft room! Thanks for sharing at Show & Share!


Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind words! I love hearing from you.