Skip to main content

Chair to planter

 
I took an old chair that belonged to my maternal great-grandparents from my mom and converted it to a planter as a surprise for her. She knew I was going to makeover the chair but she thought I was keeping it at my house. She did not know it was for her. This one was pretty easy to convert. The original chair had a leather seat that has long been missing so there was already a square cut in the middle. I just had to find a pot to fit in the hole.
 
Let me correct myself. My hubby did the painting and found the pot. I planted the flower once he was finished.
 
Here's the chair when we started. You'll notice in some of the photos that it has been reinforced in some places, like with a piece of wire tied around the edge. My hubby thought that added character and texture so he left some of that in place or put it back after he was finished painting. My grandmother is likely the one who added the reinforcements.




 
Wire put back in place for character.
 
 
He did very little sanding or filling so as to leave the chair as original as possible.
He primed it before applying Rustoleum gloss enamel in Royal blue with a sprayer.
 
 
 
 
Ready for a flower.



The final product.


 
Thanks for stopping by.

For more planter ideas check out this round up here, or my polka dot planters.

Linking up here:


Comments

  1. This is so clever! I love the shade of blue you chose to paint it! I'd be honored if you linked this up to our All Things Thursday Blog Hop that is live right now! Have a great week!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cute! Creative way to reuse a chair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved these! I am moving next year and want one in my backyard. Love this!! I would love for you to share and link up at my weekly TGIF Link Party if you haven't already this week. Your favorite posts, most popular, recent or new! The party is open every Thursday night and closes Tuesday's at midnight. Followed by (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/.
    I would be honored if you join us and follow to stay connected Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your chair! Great instructions,too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea! I love the blue paint color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It wasn't the color I had pictured, but it was what was available in the type of paint the hubby wanted to use and now I love it.

      Delete
  6. This is adorable! You did an awesome job. I need one of these for my deck!

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome way to use an old chair! Love the blue color too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool!! I love the color of the chair and such a fun idea!! Come link up your post at my party Centerpiece Wednesday http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2013/07/centerpiece-wednesday-85-and-wrap-up.html
    Karin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind words! I love hearing from you.