Skip to main content

Home made taco seasoning mix

I'm sure you've seen the home made mixes around Pinterest. I finally bit the bullet and made my own taco seasoning mix. I used it to season some chicken in the crock pot for tacos and the hubby loved the chicken.

 
I started this year off by trying to eliminate processed foods. They have so many unhealthy additives and so many things can easily be made at home in your own kitchen. Taco seasoning is one of them. Having your own premade seasonings also helps cut down on the extra time you spend in the kitchen preparing whole natural food.
 
Pictured below are the spices I used (you can tell I shop everywhere, where ever the best sale is, lol.) Here's a word of caution- check each individual spice for additives as well. That black pepper- the label says it contains wheat, and therefore, gluten. It's no longer in my kitchen. There is no need for anything in black pepper other than black pepper.
 

Here is the recipe I followed (adapted from here and the book Easy Homemade)  :

1/4 cup chili powder
 2 tablespoons ground cumin
 4 teaspoons Kosher salt
4 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons paprika1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
 1 teaspoon dried oregano

You can use 2 1/2 tablespoons in place of a packet of taco or chili seasoning mix.
Store your mix in a repurposed jar. Another plus for our environment and world.

Sharing here:


Comments

  1. I have been wanting to make taco seasoning for the longest time, but just haven't done it yet. Thanks for sharing :) I just rinsed out an old jar that would be perfect for this!

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum - I've been wanting to do this, too. Glad to hear you approved!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks and sounds so tasty! So much better than store bought.

    Hugs,

    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for this post! I'd been wanting to make my own and hadn't found a recipe I liked! This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great! I feel like I always need taco seasoning mix. And way to go on getting rid of processed foods! I'm featuring this on my blog tomorrow night and pinning it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind words! I love hearing from you.