Skip to main content

Dollar tree skeleton wreath

 
I was inspired by tried and true to make a skeleton wreath. We usually put out a store bought door decoration for Halloween, but I really wanted a handmade wreath. I actually bought the skeletons last year and never got around to making the wreath, so I got an early start this year and got this done! You can buy the same skeletons at the Dollar Tree this year.
 
You'll need a wreath form and about five or more of the skeletons, depending on how big your wreath is. I think I had a 12 inch form. It was green so I also wrapped it with some black crepe paper I had on had, just so green wouldn't show through if I didn't get good coverage with the paint.
 
Disassemble all skeletons into parts and glue your parts to the form. Here's mine before paint:
 
 

You could stop there if you are happy,  but I really dislike the yellowish color of the Dollar Tree skeletons, so I blasted mine with Krylon metallic silver. I think these wreaths would be awesome done in other colors- black, purple, green, and with glitter.

After painting it with spray paint, I mixed some Americana glazing medium with black acrylic paint and brushed it over parts and then wiped it off, just to knock down the brightness of the silver and to bring out some of the parts.

 


And there you have it- a pretty easy and inexpensive Halloween wreath.




I'll be sharing here:


Comments

  1. Yours looks so much better than the original. My weekly linky party--One Creative Weekend--has gone spooky this week in honor of my thirteenth party. If you haven’t already, I hope you’ll visit "One Creative Weekend" on OneCreativeMommy.com (open every Fri-Wed) and link up this idea and anything else you’d like to share. (You can include non-Halloween posts as well, but feel free to link up as many Halloween-themed posts as you like.) There are two categories—one for Halloween and one for everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh..spooky and shiny! This wreath is pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me think of the River Styx - very creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! What a great idea to paint it.

    Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites. I'm featuring you next week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind words! I love hearing from you.