Skip to main content

Student Desk makeover

This post contains affiliate links. They don't cost you for clicking but provide me with a few cents if you purchase from them.
I'm excited to share my desk makeover with you this week! Last year my hubby built a counter height craft table for me and I refurbished a bar stool to go with it. I love the table and hope to share it one day too. I just need to finish getting my craft room in order because there is no way to photograph just the table. (We make slow progress around here.)

Part of the plan for my craft room was to add a desk for sewing because the craft table is too high for that. I wanted to paint the desk to match the other table so I've been on the lookout for a desk in my budget that was in need of a good makeover. No use doing all that work on a desk in good shape.  I had put the search on the backburner for a while because time has been an issue and I've been a little unmotivated with finishing the craft room. I just don't seem to have much time for projects or crafting anymore. However, we went to a friend's yard sale last month and low and behold, what was she selling- a desk. The perfect size for my space! And I walked past it the first time with no thoughts of a desk and it just happened to catch my eye as I was leaving. So for $35 my latest project came home with me.
Here she is before- my hubby removed the top two drawer knobs before I could take pictures.

And after:

I removed the handles and started prepping by sanding all surfaces. The desk had an old clear coat or lacquer that needed to come off. I started with 320 grit paper and worked up to 800 grit. Once it was ready, I gave it two coats of Kilz. Then it was ready for my paint.

I had all intentions of using the leftover paint from the other projects but realized I didn't have enough. When I went to Home Depot to get more paint, the paint mixing machine was broke. So off the Lowe's we went. They did a great job of matching it and I used a flat interior latex again. I was able to complete the project with a quart. The color is light french gray. I applied a top coat of Polycrylic just on the top of the desk. Hubby hated that stuff when he tried it last year, but I really didn't have any problems with it. I will say humidity makes a huge difference with the polycrylic. I would always try to use it in less than 60% humidity. When I did the last coat, it was above 60% and I was having some bubbling in it. I was able to drag them out with my brush.

The knobs and handles got a makeover with some spray paint. We'll take a close look at that later.

I'm excited to have a little more progress in my craft room!

Linking up here:


  1. What a great makeover!
    Love the color!

  2. This is adorable, Fonda! This piece has great bones. Great color choice!


Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind words! I love hearing from you.