Skip to main content

Front porch makeover

I'm so excited to share that I finally made over my front porch, or really I should say I decorated it for the first time. I've been in this house almost six years, and never really decorated the front porch. It gets some attention at Halloween and Christmas, but other than that it's been pretty bare.

Here's a little peak: (Stick with me, lots of pictures, but totally worth it.)



Now here's the very sad, and dirty before:




Eewwhhh!

You can see that I did try to add a little last year with the faux hydrangea arrangement, but that's as far as I got.

I got started this time by removing everything from the porch. Then I grabbed the hose and a sprayer filled with a diluted solution of Clorox and Dawn. The porch and all the furniture got sprayed and scrubbed. Those cushions got scrubbed with Dawn too and then placed back into the chairs with the reverse side showing. ( They have faded- maybe I'll get another year or two out of them this way).

Nice and clean now:



Next I added some planters with flowers by the door. I have failed miserably here with most of what I have planted in the ground, so I decided I'd try out container gardening.




I changed out the wreath on the door from the spring wreath to the summer flip flop wreath.

I also spruced up some old planters with paint and placed one in the corner and one on the side table.



 Then I went on a shopping spree. Actually I went on the shopping spree first, because the striped pillows from Bed, Bath, and Beyond were the inspiration for the color block planter. Sometimes "time is money" and "money is time". I found those outdoor pillows for $9.99 each and I could not have made them (counting my time) for much less so I purchased them. I did look for dish towels or placemats to make some with but wasn't finding anything in the colors or patterns I had in mind, so it wasn't worth the time spent to keep looking. I also went to Pier One and purchased some lanterns and citronella candles (20% off). I already had the little green lantern that I added to the side table. I got it last year from World Market.



I love how everything came together. Here are some before and after looks for you:




I'm lovin' it! Now if I can just keep the darn neighborhood cats away!

Sharing here:

Thrifty Decor Chick
Visit thecsiproject.com

Comments

  1. You did such a great job on your front porch. Wow! This was such a wonderful post. I would love it if you would share this at our WIW linky party. I hope you can join.

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! I like seeing what other people have done. It sparks my creativity. Joining from the think pink link.=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the bright and cheery pops of color on your front porch!! Looks great! Cute wreath too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bright pots!

    I found you via the Tuesday Talent Show from Chef in Training
    I have linked up a simple little cheese and cracker plate
    Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. All those bright splashes of color sure add to how nice it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopping over from CSI and just wanted you to know I really enJOY the pops of blue on your front porch. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! Thanks for sharing at our Handmade Tuesdays party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous front porch! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all the color you added! I try at least three times a year to add some plants on my porch, but I always forget about them and they die!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have created a beautiful space. I am envious of it all!! Outdoor area is my favourite place in my home.
    Timber Outdoor furniture

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind words! I love hearing from you.