Skip to main content

Broken jewelry cross

 
 
A couple of months ago I stumble across this great find in an antique shop:


A large vase full of jewelry! Some of it's broken and some of it is completely wearable as is. 

See all the goodies:

 
 

I repurposed some black faceted beads for my Stella and Dot knock off from this stash. I also intend to make myself a broken jewelry letter like the ones Tip Junkie has featured. I haven't gotten around to that yet, but I do have a wooden "F" in my stash of other things from a project that was never done and now abandoned, so one day I'll have a cool initial on my craft room door.

 What I HAVE gotten around to is a broken jewelry cross. I picked up a wooden cross at Michael's for a dollar. I wanted to alter/decorate it some way for Easter decor but didn't really know how when I first bought it. Then this idea came to me.... and I LOVE IT.

A shell necklace and these other pieces became the final product (Please excuse the lovely background in the second photo- this was a late night project completed on the craft room floor- sales papers make excellent work surfaces- fold and throw away the mess when you're done.)



Here it is:



I first painted the cross white. I glued on jewelry and buttons and then glued it to a piece of cardboard cut to fit my frame and covered with a piece of cardstock. I would have liked to have used fabric but I didn't have any in the stash that was the color I wanted. The frame is a repurpose too. It started life as a green and gold frame. Now with the help of Krylon fusion it is white.  I have the cross displayed on my mantel. When all the mantel Easter decor is complete I'll share that too.

What have you repurposed lately? I'd love to know.

Have a great week. I'll be linking this up to my favorite parties listed below:


Comments

  1. This is so cool! I'm trying to find good decor ideas for lent and this is definitely going to be on my to-do list (smaller version though since the frame I have is a little small).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you with such a fabulous find, and then using them to embellish the cross, fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that IS a great find!! There are so many things you can do with old jewelry pieces. Your cross is nifty! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing find at that shop! Great use of the items to cover the cross - shiny things reflecting the goodness of Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that idea!!! I have lots of cute, sparkly, broken jewelry that I haven't been able to part with. That's a wonderful way to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Broken jewelry can be used for all kinds of scrapbook and craft project embellishments. Search yards sales, thrift stores, etsy, and ebay for huge lots of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so lovely! How creative! You have a beautiful blog.

    {HUGS}!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my..that is beautiful! You did such a great job!!! Thanks for sharing this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that cross! I've been wanting to make something special from my grandmother's old costume I hope you'll stop by the Tuesday To Do party and share it!

    http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2011/04/tuesday-to-do-5-and-4-list-makers.html

    Smiles!
    Jamijewelry and this would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great idea!! And it is beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing & linking up with Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings. www.ladybug-blessings.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This turned out sooooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind words! I love hearing from you.