Skip to main content

Gluten free (almost Paleo) Christmas cracker candy

 
 
 I stumbled across a recipe for a Christmas candy made with just saltine crackers, brown sugar, butter, and chocolate chips on the web. It sounded like something that I wanted to try but we now eat 100% gluten free and about 80% Paleo since we discovered that the hubby has some major sensitivity to gluten and corn. He is also sensitive to butter. The Paleo diet overall makes us feel better and controls some health issues for us. But every now and again, we like a treat.

So I set out the make this "crack" candy (as some call it) in a version we could eat. It took some trial and error. Just FYI, coconut sugar and ghee do not mix well. Since the purpose of the brown sugar and butter was to make a caramel like substance, I made myself some caramel sauce following this recipe and proceeded with my Christmas cracker candy. The sauce recipe only make a little bit so it was necessary to double the ingredients.

Here is my final version:

1 box Organ rice crackers
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
1 cup coconut milk
4 tablespoons water
2 tsp vanilla
1 bag Enjoy life chocolate chips (dairy free)

Grease a jelly roll pan (I used coconut oil). Line the pan with the rice crackers. Prepare caramel sauce by bringing water and coconut sugar to a boil. Add coconut milk and vanilla and cook about 10-15 minutes until it thickens and turns darker brown. Stir constantly.

Pour sauce over crackers and pop into a 425 degree preheated oven for 3 minutes. The sauce should be bubbly at that point. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over crackers and sauce. When the chips begin to melt, spread out the chocolate.

Put the pan of crackers in the freezer for about 20 minutes. Break apart your mixture and enjoy.



I don't get any affiliate rewards from the link to the crackers at Vitacost but if you sign up to shop there through THIS LINK, we both get at $10 credit on a $30 purchase. I love shopping there. Lots of gluten free, dairy free, and generally healthy items.  You can also earn cash back at Vitacost through Ebates. (that's my referral link where I can earn extra credit for participants who sign up and make qualifying purchases. I've gotten about $50 back from my regular shopping through Ebates so far.)

Thanks for obliging my affiliate plugs and self promotion.

Linking up here:


Comments