Skip to main content

Ruffled valentine wreath

So.... I told you yesterday that the fuzzy heart was just a sneak peak and that it was part of a bigger project. Here it is:


My ruffle Valentine wreath.


My ruffles didn't quite turn out like I planned, but that's the beauty of DIY. You can take something and morph it and make it yours. You can still make things work even when they don't go as planned. I was inspired by this wreath at Sunshine Mama.

Since I put myself on a craft spending diet, I started with a cardboard box and cut a circle wreath form, much like she did. Her directions are probably better than mine would be. I started out tracing a cookie sheet and another lid and then got the husband involved with a measuring tape.  Just follow her directions for the base. I coated my cardboard form with Mod Podge for some extra stability as we live in a humid climate and I was afraid the cardboard would not hold up outside.

I had some canvas-like material that I bought at Goodwill. When I got it home and unfolded it, I discovered that it was a curtain someone had cut the bottom off of and did not hem. I don't blame them- it's really hard to sew and absolutely did not want to ruffle. I had to ruffle by hand. I sewed them with my running stitch on one side, so I did not get a two sided ruffle like the inspiration wreath- hence, mine is flatter. But I went with them anyway and glued two rows all the way around. Since I did this, I opted to have all of my strips the same width. (Well, I would if I had it to do over. A few are a little narrower than others, but again, I think I made it work. 10 foot rule- that's what the hubby says about movie props and costumes- made to look good from 10 feet away. No one passing by on the street will be able to tell, LOL. ) I had a few narrower pieces left over that I actually got ruffled somewhat on the machine and rolled them into flowers for the bottom.


 I then tied my fuzzy heart to the wreath at the top  and that was it!



Took a little longer than I wanted it to, but I'm happy with it for this year. I see some modifications coming for next year as I think it might be missing something. I'm open for suggestions.

I'll be linking up to GET YOUR CRAFT ON  and others listed on the side.

Comments

  1. Love those ruffles! So pretty! Thanks for linking up to Gettin' Krafty With It!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind words! I love hearing from you.