Skip to main content

Bare wood to black magic

 
Okay that was a cheesy post title, but wait until you see the before and afters. It really is like magic. The hubby and I recently completed our first successful furniture painting project. (I said first "successful" because I painted a laminate cabinet once that was a disaster.)
 
I acquired this chest of drawers from my parents. It was purchased 48 years ago when my brother was born to store baby clothes and things. It was bare wood and has never been finished, stained or painted. It has been in the family all these years. My grandmother later used it for storage in a utility room and it suffered some water damage. The hubby cut new drawer bottoms and a new back for this piece before we painted it.
 
 
 
Some light sanding and Kiltz took care of the remaining water damage.  After priming, I painted it with an interior satin enamel paint from Home Depot. I used Behr paint but had them do a custom color match to Glidden onyx black. The top got a few coats of polyurethane. I changed the wood knobs to silver. ( I kept the wooden knobs. I think it would be fun to paint them a constrasting color and use them again if I decide to change things up.)
 
It was hard to photograph it once we finished with the light I had to work with and even harder to photograph inside, but it does look amazing in person. It has a new home in my craft room. It's only 15 inches wide and it's the perfect storage piece for fabric and craft supplies.
 
 
Sharing here:
 

Comments

  1. Amazing change! Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful updates. Great work! I'd love if you'd link up to The DIYers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-diyers-28.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a gorgeous redo Fonda! I love how sleek the new dresser is, thanks for sharing with us at the Inspiration Monday party- xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dresser looks beautiful now. Great transformation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I am currently working on refurbishing my dresser and can't decide between staining it or painting it white

    mywaytofitandfab.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me forever to decide on a color. I have other black furniture in this room but a grey and blue craft desk. I desperately wanted to paint the dresser two colors but I was afraid it would compete with the craft desk being the focal point. Good luck with your project!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful after....so pretty! Thanks for sharing at this week's Project Inspire{d} ~ pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dresser looks fantastic and completely different! I featured it this week at Project Inspire{d}!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind words! I love hearing from you.