Skip to main content

Ceramic tile coasters- easy and inexpensive gift

Need a quick and easy (and inexpensive) gift idea for the last few days before Christmas? Ceramic tile coasters aren't a new idea, but still worthy of the reminder. And dictionary art is growing in poularity so I've combined the two.




I made these a couple of weeks ago for my sister-in-law's birthday. I started with a vintage dragonfly image from The Graphics Fairy. I had some ceramic tiles from Lowe's in my stash. I only had three 4x4 tiles and one larger one so she got 3 coasters and 1 trivet as a set. I had picked up an old dictionary from the thrift store for 25 cents. (It wasn't priced and I am a regular face there, so I think she pretty much gave it to me!)

You'll need to measure your tiles and then cut the page just a little smaller than the tile, after you have printed on them. It takes a little trial and error if you want to print in a certain spot on the page, so print a test on a plain sheet first and then lay your dictionary page on top and hold it up to the light to determine if it will print where you want.

My pages were not as aged as I wanted so I "aged" them with Tim Holts distress ink in walnut by dragging the ink pad around the edges and across the page a little.

Once you've got your sheets ready, adhere them to the tile with Mod Podge and continue coating until you've got them sealed to your liking.

The cool thing about the dictionary art is you can somewhat personalize it. I picked words that mean something to my sis in law, like dragonfly.



I also used the word swamper because they used to live on a dead end on the river bank, and she called it the swamp, and signed all our email correspondence and cards and such "from the Swampers".



That's it. I told you it was quick and easy!

Sharing here:


Comments

  1. What a great idea. I love the combination of the text and image. Thanks for sharing at this week's party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool gift idea! I love the personal touch you gave it. I'm going to pin this to my gift ideas pin board on pinterest.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea. I love the addition of the image and the personalization of the pages you picked. Great gift idea!
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used those tiles to stamp on, but never thought of using pages on them! Thanks for the great idea! I'll be making some of these for gifts in the future! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This came out beautifully...love the dragonfly! And "swamper"! :)
    Great idea for a personalized housewarming gift.
    Arrived via TCB...cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw this feature on Tip Junkie. Super easy but so pretty! The vintage feel is right up my alley. Would love love for you to share this at my Best of 2011 party going on now http://space46.blogspot.com. Feel free to link up a couple projects if you'd like. Happy new year! My

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome coasters! Do you have to seal the coasters?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind words! I love hearing from you.