Skip to main content

How to refresh furniture hardware

 
Painting or refinishing an old piece of furniture can be fun, but what do you do about the hardware? You have two choices- replace the knobs and handles with new ones, or clean and paint the old ones. I chose to paint the old ones on my student desk makeover.
 
Here they are before- pretty gross!
 


I took a sheet of 600 grit sandpaper and started sanding away the grime. Make sure you don't use too coarse of  sandpaper or you will leave scratches that will show through your paint. You want to sand just hard enough to remove the grime and scuff the handle enough for the paint to stick.

Here it is after some sanding:



After sanding I cleaned each handle with alcohol and then let it thoroughly dry. I painted my handles with Rustoleum satin nickel, according to the directions on the can.


 
I'm happy with my new updated handles and  a can of spray paint was cheaper than new hardware.


Sharing here:

Comments

  1. Love your hardware! I love reusing mine too! Get ready for another Inspiration Monday tomorrow! Thanks Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind words! I love hearing from you.