Skip to main content

Favorite handmade holiday traditions

Welcome to the Etsygreeting Holiday blog hop! If you've arrived here by chance, and want to visit the whole hop, see the directions at the end.

 One of my favorite holiday traditions is to make homemade goodies and give them in repurposed decorated containers. I use my craft and scrapbook supplies to alter nut tins, gatorade containers, jars, you name it. Here's a nut tin I recently altered with paper, Mod Podge, and ribbon.



 I used the original wrapper from the tin as a template for measuring and cutting my papers. I made a crumpled scallop flower with my scallop punches and adhered it to the lid. Cute easy way to add an extra handmade touch.

Here's one of my favorite (and my mother-in-law's) things to fill the tins with:

Chocolate Truffles

3 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1 14 oz can condensed milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

In heavy saucepan, melt chips with condensed milk. (Or microwave at high power 3 minute stirring after 1 1/2 minutes.) Stir in vanilla.
Chill 2 hours or until firm. Shape into 1 inch balls; roll in desired coating. Chill another hour or until firm. Store at room temperature.

Coatings: chopped toasted nuts; flaked coconut, sugar, cocoa, powdered sugar, colored sprinkles

Variations:

Substitute the following for the vanilla:

3 tablespoons amaretto liqueur and 1/2 tsp almond extract, or


3 tablespoons orange flavoured liqueur, or


1/4 cup dark rum, or


3 tablespoons bourbon



Click the arrow below to visit the next blog in the hop. If you've gotten off track, you can click the opposite arrow to visit the blog before me or click the etsygreetings logo to get the entire list. Have fun!




 
Also linking to Chef in Training Holly Bloggy recipe party.

Comments

  1. Those sound so good!

    Lexi
    http://cupcakedaydreamer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fonda - this looks like a yummy recipe. Great idea to repurpose the tins!

    Cheers,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh- those truffles sound divine! Maybe I'll get adventurous this year and try my hand at making truffles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your recipe looks delicious! I love your decorated container too. Happy truffle making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The truffles sounds so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I also like you gift wrapping, very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe sounds delicious! Beautiful packaging too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your decorated tins are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great recipe! I will have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing. Great way to package them too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how you decorated the tin. Adorable! And the inside, truffles = delightful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. your tin looks adorable!! I also make truffles at Christmas time, the perfect indulgence!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's awesome you recycle! what a pretty tin and you can't go wrong with yummy truffles :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The truffles sound so yummy and I love your gift box!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had me at chocolate, lol. Thanks for sharing your yummy recipe and that adorable re-purposed tin. Too cute!

    -Kate ♥

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind words! I love hearing from you.