Skip to main content

Men's dress shirt to skirt

I finally got brave and tried my hand at making a skirt from a men's shirt. Hubby put some shirts out for a yard sale last year and they didn't sell. I held back a couple of them from the Goodwill pile.

Here's what I started with:



Here's the end result:


I basically followed the tutorial at Bluebabescreate but I studied all of the ones I featured in my shirt to skirt roundup. I will try to clarify a few things for you that were not in the tutorial or that I had trouble understanding. Also, let me offer a few tips.

Pick a shirt with an even hem. Straight or rounded is fine, just make sure the front and back are the same.

See what I mean- this is how hubby's shirt was made.


I had to cut off the bottom and hem it. Save yourself that step and pay attention to the shirt you are getting.

It would also be easier to find a shirt that is long enough to cut off under the arm holes. I was afraid my skirt would be too short so I had to use part of the arm holes. This tutorial talks about sewing the arm holes together and then having corners sticking out. I knew that would be a problem but I wasn't sure what she was talking about doing. I sewed a seam from the top (waist) that tapered over to the side seam on each side. Then I cut the "triangle" piece off. It still looks a little weird but lays fine when you are wearing it.



The sash- After you trim your sleeve off straight, measure the width of the widest part. If you don't unfold when you measure, then you want to cut your middle material two times this number. Unfold the sleeve and sew a sleeve to each end of your middle piece. You now have a long rectangle with sleeve cuffs on each end. Fold right sides together and sew up the open seam. Turn inside out. I made a mess of this but finally got it right. My sash is super long, but it's long enough to tie a bow and I like it.

Here's a back view. Recognize the material? Same material I used in my tray upcycle.


And here I am modeling my new skirt.


Thanks for stopping by! I'll be sharing here:


Comments

  1. Thanks for the credit and all of the reforms. I really did mine on a whim late at night not expecting it to be SUCH A HIT! I would have taken more time with my instructions! You look adorable! Come check out my Goya nursery cute lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out so cure. I love it! I'm a new follower ;)
    Rose @ {A Rosie Sweet Home}
    http://www.arosiesweethome.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out so cute and you look adorable in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is a great idea! Recycle and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute! Love this skirt! I'm a novice seamstress-don't know if I could do this, but I'm going to try:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I'm a novice seamstress - you can certainly do this.

      Delete
  6. cute idea! found you through the diy dreamer linky party

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome idea! The skirt looks FABULOUS! Love the big bow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super clever and adorable!! Thank you for sharing at Uncommon ! Featuring this tonight on our FB page! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!! As soon as I'm better with my sewing machine I will try this. I have been keeping my hubby's old shirts just in case.. this is PERFECT!

    Thanks for sharing at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job - it looks really cute on you :) i've made little girls dresses out of men's dress shirts but never tried a skirt. Hmmmm... - better add that to my list of to-do's!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! Really cute with the buttons going down the front! Love the sash and the bow seals it with a kiss :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind words! I love hearing from you.